The trip had been blissful, I was fortunate enough to land myself in between two "cool currents" (no idea what is the exact term lol) for my stay in China. With nice weather and all whole lot of visiting relatives and big meals, it is nice to be hit by nostalgia, to see the amount of change & development, also to recognize the very favourable position that I have been placed in. (I'll write a full reflection when the trip is over... Assuming that I am not too blown away by my results)
Finally, on the subject today. My time in Taiwan can be summarized by these statements: Awesome people, Awesome food, Awesome Architecture. It is interesting to see the blend of both the modern and rural in a single city (Kao Hsiung as they translated it... Weird huh?) done in the right way, with clean streets (minus the motorcycles with their noise and air pollution), very friendly people. It's pretty contrasting to my stay in China, where pretty much the opposite have happened to my home island. It is sad to see in Chinese metropolis in the making that the rural friendliness have been replaced with cool indifference, that the cleanliness of the urban landscape is nowhere to be found, that pollution is all round.
Complains and unbalanced comparisons aside, the architecture of this port city is something that I am thoroughly impressed with. I suppose it will be too much for me to expect the same for Singapore, where land is of severe shortage, the integration of architectural sophistication into practicality is sadly nowhere to be found in S'pore. Then again, this is all to be expected when economic efficiency takes the primary focus over artistic appreciation (This is beginning to sound like my EE over again).
Just 2 pictures of a MRT exit, more pictures will be available on my FB soon, as soon as I can be bothered about them..
No comments:
Post a Comment